Saturday, March 20, 2010

WITNESS/EYES/EVIDENCE

"You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence..."*




"I will lie here with the memory of every phrase that ever filled me
tortured and tongue tied
outside where packs of dogs are running loose just like we used to
I still remember your eyes."**

*TOOL
**ARTICLES OF FAITH



FEBRUARY 14, 2010

Yesterday was the longest run I've done since Philadelphia. Four miles in some pretty awful weather. It was 35 degrees, raining pretty hard, and the wind was gusting 20-30 miles per hour. None of that mattered. As I was running I kept thinking that the days run would be 1/3 of my half marathon and how I'm very slowly (wisely?) increasing my miles. This route is far different than where I did my training in the past with the majority of it being rolling hills and one slow 1/4 mile incline. The hills feel pretty good and the last 1/4 mile uphill had me gassed. I've been getting delusions of grandeur recently, thinking about running ultra's and then I remember that I'd have to tack on another 46 miles to the days run to finish. It's still a goal for 2011.

I don't know if it's the addict in me or some other force that wants me to push myself to the breaking point. It's always been that way, usually with terrible results, but it's also pushed me to write 30 minute long complex and technical songs, gotten me through 16 months of enormous sleep deprivation when I was in school, and allowed me to survive a life that would have killed most. When it comes to the monotony and minutiae of daily life I don't do all that well but when things start to collapse around me I've had the ability to focus and keep going. This, I hope, will be a useful trait in Vermont this year and who knows where in 2011.



"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
In their grey visions they obtain glimpses of eternity...They penetrate, however rudderless or compassless,
into the vast ocean of the 'light ineffable'." Edgar Allan Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment