Saturday, April 10, 2010

SOME LESSONS ARE EASIER LEARNED THAN OTHERS

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. How the fuck do people run 50, 100 miles on a trail??? This is going to be problematic. I went on a 3 mile run at Baxter Preserve and I'm crippled and sunburned. I learned a few interesting things today. The first is that one should prepare properly when the temperature climbs into the mid 80's. That preparation would include things such as way more fluids and a healthy handful of sun block. The second thing that I learned is that maybe it's a little bit premature to consider myself someone that excels at bombing the downhills. While it's true that I'm reckless enough to not give a fuck about falling down hills, maybe I should not try to accommodate for my very slow climbs with speedy descents just yet. I must look like a piano falling down a flight of stairs. Lastly, I learned that from a respiratory point of view, I have the lungs of a premature newborn. I might as well have been dragging an oxygen tank behind me. Really.

The Preserve is mainly open fields. stone walls, at least one stream, and a small lake. Not a lot of tree cover and no sizable stretches of flat trail but not one big climb. It's more a war of attrition than any one thing that hurt me. It was a lot of fun and pretty hysterical when I uploaded the route onto my computer. It looked like a drunk in a maze. I never found one large loop so I apparently spun around in a million smaller circles until the watch said 3 miles.




It took me almost a half hour to get the above display of technical wizardry onto the page. Great runner and tech savvy? Wow, how can one guy have so much while others have so little?





I iced the shit out of my legs last night and I was surprised that I wasn't sore when I got out of bed this morning. The above photo of my route is proof positive that I'm turning into a fucking nerd. What the fuck happened to me??? I also went to Wal Mart and Marshalls and bought more crap that I probably don't need (shorts/shirts/socks).

4/9/2010

I'm thinking more and more about Fucker. Reminder: Fucker is the 1/2 mile long VERY steep hill that's part of Vail Lane. I'm not sure what the grade is but it is fucking huge. I'm starting to think more about structuring my training for the marathon and beyond. Saturday will always be my long run. There's no way I'm putting in long miles on a Sunday morning after being up driving almost all night the night before. Monday will be my recovery run day, Wednesday my midweek 'longer' run, and Friday my hill training or fast run day. I have to figure out when I'll add in cross training at some point. I hate the idea but I know it will be beneficial. I'd also like to take a yoga class but I don't have the $$$ right now. I'm one of the most inflexible motherfuckers on 2 legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment